Mattress toppers have a range of uses including:
- Soften up a hard mattress
- Eradicate the feeling of lumps
- Protect and extend the life of a mattress
- Add extra joint support (in the case of memory foam)
But while mattress toppers can add whole lease of life to an old mattress, one thing they can’t help is a sagging mattress. In this case there’s no alternative but to buy a new mattress.
If you’re looking for a new mattress topper, take a look at these 5 mattress topper reviews of the top best selling mattress toppers on Amazon. I’ve provided a list of the pros and cons of each mattress topper to help you choose which one would be best for you
Plush Polyester Mattress Topper
Made from soft polyester microfiber filling, very similar to the material used in down alternative pillows. The filling is divided into numerous square pockets to prevent any lumps or flat spots. It has an elasticated edge allowing you to firmly secure it in place over your mattress.
Pros of Plush Polyester
- The material is super soft, ideal for softening up a firm mattress.
Cons of Plush Polyester
- The square stitching creates a bit of an uneven surface.
- Some people will find it too soft to sleep comfortably on.
If you have a very firm mattress that you find too hard to sleep on then this mattress topper is ideal. Avoid if you already have a soft mattress.
Price: $25.52 | Buy from Amazon
2″ Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Made from 2 inches of memory foam, dotted with small holes for increased air flow. Memory foam is designed to contour around the body offering good support for joins.
Pros of 2″ Memory Foam
- One of the cheapest ways to turn any mattress into a memory foam hybrid.
Cons of 2″ Memory Foam
- Not very thick and so not very effective at removing lumps.
- Can become uncomfortably hot in warmer weather.
This mattress topper is ideal if you want to get the all the benefits of having a memory foam mattress from your old mattress.
Price: $56.01 | Buy from Amazon
2.5″ Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This mattress topper is an extra half an inch thick but also made from higher quality memory foam. It’s infused with a special cooling gel designed to absorb heat and distribute it away from the body keeping your cool.
Pros of Gel Infused Memory Foam
- Keeps cool throughout the night, addressing one of the biggest complaints about memory foam mattresses.
- Comes with its own cover that’s textured on one side so it won’t slide about.
Cons of Gel Infused Memory Foam
- 2.5″ is enough to greatly soften any lumps but not totally eradicate them.
This is a high quality memory foam mattress topper that looks the part even on high end mattresses. Might meet its match against very lumpy mattresses.
Price: $77.27 | Buy from Amazon
4″ Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Made of 4″ of thick memory foam, once again ventilated to help combat heat retention. This is about as thick as mattress toppers come.
Pros of 4″ Memory Foam
- Easily thick enough to smooth over any lumps
Cons of 4″ Memory Foam
- Doesn’t attach to the mattress so could slide around.
A great choice for extending the life of a lumpy mattress. However depending on the bed, a topper that’s 4 inches thick may unnecessary.
Price: $152.54 | Buy from Amazon
2″ Egg Crate Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Made from memory foam in an egg crate pattern. You can either sleep on the egg crate side for a rather unique sensation or sleep on the flat side, which with the egg crate pattern bellow offers extra spring and softness.
Pros of Egg Crate Memory Foam
- Softer than regular memory foam
Cons of Egg Crate Memory Foam
- Rather thin and not very durable
- Doesn’t stick to the mattress
The extra softness would be welcome for those who want memory foam but also have a firm mattress. The ridges from the egg crate pattern may offer extra relief for those who suffer from back pain.
Price: $50.99 | Buy from Amazon