If you’re looking for a new mattress now is one of the best times to buy one. Advancements in vacuum packaging mean that the days where mattresses had to come from a local warehouse in a lorry are long gone. They can now come delivered to you wrapped up in a box delivered by a courier in a van.
It’s an advancement that has really opened up the market. It means that websites like Amazon can now sell a range of cut price mattresses. The quality is exactly the same, but the prices have plummeted.
You have a choice of lots of different mattresses. Local bed stores often try and stretch your budget for the most expensive offerings. But each type of mattress has its own positives and negatives to take into consideration. What’s most ideal for some people won’t be for others.
Here’s a review of the different types of mattresses available on Amazon. Take note of the pros and cons of each, and click the ‘buy from Amazon’ link to check out the best selling and most suitable mattress of its type on Amazon
Innerspring Coil Mattress
Made from coiled springs knitted together, with a thin layer of foam for padding to separate you from the springs.
Pros of Innerspring Coil Mattresses
- The most traditional and often the cheapest mattress available.
Cons of Innerspring Coil Mattresses
- The fabric sinks into the coils over time making it feel lumpy.
A cheap no fills mattress. Great for spare bedrooms and guest rooms. Will need replacing every few years if used regularly.
Price: $102.00 | Buy from Amazon
Pocketed Spring Mattress
Similar to the innerspring mattress above but this time the springs operate independently of each other. So if you move around on one side of the bed, the other side will remain still.
Pros of Pocketed Spring Mattresses
- You won’t feel your partner toss and turn at night.
- The surface of the mattress stays flat so you won’t roll into your partner if there’s a weight difference.
Cons of Pocketed Spring Mattresses
- Still has the problem of becoming lumpy over use.
More expensive than the basic innerspring mattress but offers considerable advantages to couples.
Price: Check Amazon for the latest offer | Buy from Amazon
Pocketed Spring Latex Foam Hybrid Mattress
Pros of Pocketed Spring Latex Foam Hybrids
- The hard foam protects against the mattress becoming lumpy.
- Has a longer lifespan than traditional pocketed spring mattresses.
Cons of Pocketed Spring Latex Foam Hybrids
- The soft foam may be a little too soft for those who like the firmness of a regular pocketed spring mattress.
You pay extra for added layers of foam but preventing any lumpiness is certainly worth it. The trade off is that it does soften up the mattress, which can be a good or bad thing depending upon your personal preferences.
Price: $370.00 | Buy from Amazon
Memory Foam Mattress
Most memory foam mattresses aren’t actually made of 100% memory foam. Instead, they have a layer of memory foam lying on top of high density support foam. This approach strikes a balance between comfort and durability.
Pros of Memory Foam
- Contours around the whole body eliminating any painful pressure points.
- Good for those who enjoy the support of a firm mattress.
Cons of Memory Foam
- May feel slightly too firm at first while the foam activates and molds to your body shape.
- Creates a feeling of being held in place. Some people like this feeling whilst others don’t.
Memory foam offers fantastic health benefits. They feel very different from spring mattresses so definitely try one in a bed store before buying.
Price: $345.92 | Buy from Amazon
Plush Memory Foam Mattress
One of the biggest complaints about memory foam mattresses is that they feel too hard. This mattress is similar to that of regular memory foam but adds a much softer layer of support foam in between the memory foam and high density foam.
Pros of Plush Memory Foam
- Softer and squishier than regular memory foam whist still proving excellent support.
- Quicker and easier to get comfortable. You don’t have to wait for the memory foam to activate.
Cons of Plush Memory Foam
- The foam layer is an inch thinner than in the regular mattress to accommodate for the soft foam.
This mattress is slightly less of a memory foam mattress and more of a latex foam / memory foam hybrid. It offers a good balance for those that want the support of a memory foam mattress with the softness of pillow top mattress.
Price: $325.89 | Buy from Amazon
Premium Memory Foam Mattress
Thick soft memory foam, above soft latex foam, above high density foam. This mattress makes no compromises.
Pros of Premium Memory Foam
- The ultimate balance between soft comfort and firm support.
Cons of Premium Memory Foam
- Still won’t please those who don’t like the constricting feel of regular memory foam mattresses
Four different layers totaling 16 inches thick. This mattress is the most expensive out of the six I’ve reviewed here. But it’s still a remarkable price offering fantastic value for money. If you’re a fan of memory foam mattresses and willing to make a strong investment in your health, this mattress should be near the top of your list.
Price: $355.99 | Buy from Amazon